Applications for this role are by email, firstname.lastname@example.orgApply Now
- Based at Gravesend, Kent
- Salary Range: £48,088 – £53,074 per annum Inclusive of allowances
The Port of London Authority is a self-financing statutory authority with responsibility for administering one of the UK’s largest and busiest ports in maintaining the safety of navigation throughout its limits and for the conservancy of 95 miles of the tidal River Thames and Thames Estuary.
This interesting and varied post offers considerable potential for someone seeking to join a highly respected, motivated and friendly team that is seeking to develop and expand its capabilities.
This post is based within our Hydrographic Department one of the strongest in the UK. Our primary focus is the provision of Safety of Navigation surveys, dredging support and nautical charting products to port users and stakeholders. In addition, the team provides commercial services across the spectrum of geophysical, geotechnical, and marine infrastructure inspection and construction survey support. We have a diverse and interesting client and project portfolio from major infrastructure to smaller support and development work both on the Thames and further afield.
The department is well resourced with a dedicated team of surveyors, marine crews, GIS, conservancy, project management and administration personnel. We operate three survey vessels all fitted with hi-res multibeam sonars and ancillary equipment, we are licenced aerial drone operators and have undertaken several surveys utilising unmanned surface vessels, an area we are keen to develop. We use the latest hydrographic software packages and GIS techniques for processing, analysis, product production and data delivery. We promote individuals to develop skills and achieve professional qualifications across this broad range of work.
- Practice the full range of professional hydrographic surveyor skills from survey planning, acquisition, charting through to reporting and analysis.
- Achieve focussed career development through the in-house personal development program.
- Be involved with supporting the joint Port of London and University College London MSc in Hydrography, as well as receiving support to gain their own professional accreditation.
- Recognised degree/qualification in hydrographic surveying, although consideration will be given to candidates with related qualifications.
- Previous inshore and/or offshore surveying industry experience and a working knowledge of hydrographic systems, charting and associated standards.
- Broader experience in the geophysical and geotechnical survey fields although not a pre-requisite, would be an advantage.
- You should be self-motivated and have the ability to work under pressure with little supervision.
- There is also a requirement to work paid overtime to cover operational and emergency requirements; conditions will apply.
- A current driving licence is also essential for the role.
- 28 days annual leave
- Stable working hours
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare scheme
- AGILE working options
- The salary offered will be negotiated within the range above and be commensurate with the skills and experience of the candidate offered the post.
If interested, we would value an informal chat about the position, please contact the Hydrographic Service to speak to one of the team on 01474 562207
Check out www.pla.co.uk/hydrohomepage and www.pla.co.uk/Safety/About-Our-Hydrographic-Service to get overview of the team the work we do.
A full job description is available here.
Interviews to be held shortly afterwards
Port of London AuthorityRole:
Gravesend, KentClosing Date:
03 December 2021