Alan Ingham Award: Terms & Conditions
- The Alan Ingham Award is operated by The Hydrographic Society UK (THS UK) trading as ‘The Hydrographic Society UK & Ireland’ and ‘THS:UKI’.
- From time-to-time THS:UKI may update the Terms & Conditions of the Alan Ingham Award. The current versions of all relevant documents are available to download at www.ths-uki.org.
- To be eligible, a candidate must be a full-time student on a relevant undergraduate or post-graduate level course or have been so during the 12 months preceding the closing date for entries. For the avoidance of doubt, the closing date for entries is the closing date for Phase 1 of the competition which is 31st December.
- All candidates must declare that, if successful, they are willing to have a 1500–2000-word paper, based on the 400-word summary, published in the Society’s magazine, soundings, and that they will ensure that all copyright and other permissions are satisfied prior to publication.
- Copyright of all feature articles published in soundings will be jointly held by THS:UKI and the author.
- All candidates must declare that, if they are selected as the THS:UKI nominee for the IFHS Student Award, they would be willing and able to present their paper at the next Hydro* conference. If they are unable to do so either/both the Alan Ingham Award and/or the IFHS Student Award may be withdrawn and/or offered to another candidate.
- In the event of the winner of the Alan Ingham Award being unable to commit to being available to present their paper at Hydro, THS:UKI reserves the right to nominate the first runner-up for the IFHS Student Award. Under such circumstances, the relevant component of the winner’s prize would be transferred to the first runner-up.
- All entries must be submitted via the official online entry form.
- All completed entry forms must be received by 31st December.
- THS:UKI will notify the candidates shortlisted for Phase 2 of the selection process by 20th January. These candidates will be required to submit their 1500–2000-word papers for soundings by 15th March.
- The winner and runner(s)-up will be notified by early April.
* Unless no Hydro conference is scheduled for that year